Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Healing Together With Songs

This past Sunday the Hospice of the North Shore sponsored their "Mass of Remembrance." The Mass is held every six months for grieving families who received medical services from Hospice of the North Shore. Volunteers and medical personnel from Hospice and representatives from several religions took turns at the podium reading poetry, prose, and prayers of healing to the families in attendance. Each Hospice worker lit a candle following their reading regarding the loss of a parent, child, sibling, friend, or spouse. In all, six candles were lit. Throughout the service, the Ecumenical Choir filled the chapel 



with song. Lyrics from the Old Testiment filled the heart with hope...with light. "Loss met me on my way, then right beside me came your grace. And though alone, I'm not forsaken, and though struck down, I won't be shaken...Out of darkness, the light shall shine..."
My family received an invitation to this Mass after my mother died. Many of us attended this beautiful Mass and were uplifted by the readings, the candle lighting, and music. My father and I, both members of our own church choir, sang out through our tears. "And He will raise you up on eagle's wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of His hand." The experience moved us, healed us. My father recognized many members of the Ecumenical Choir. They were all members of a local community choir. After the Mass, my father and I volunteered our voices to this Ecumenical Choir. We wanted to give back to others the same joy and comfort we received on that day. We've been singing with them since that day.
Grief is a funny thing. It can lead you into a dark place if you allow it. But, if you open your heart to the love of the person you miss, it can bring unexpected joy from the most unexpected places. Words are powerful. Songs are joyful. Music is healing. Healing is Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment